No. 11 George’s Street Upper currently serves as a branch of the Permanent TSB and is a two storey structure with decorative stone features at first floor and parapet level. The building is estimated to date from the early 1900’s similar in time to its adjacent buildings.
The Cumbrian sandstone features on this building had deteriorated significantly and Oldstone were engaged as Main Contractor to undertake repairs to the stonework at parapet level and to the window surrounds at first floor.
Scaffold was erected to two elevations of the building requiring local authority permits.
Samples of new replacement stone and colour matched repair mortar were sourced and offered up for approval.
The stone facade was gently cleaned to remove any surface grime.
The parapet cappings were lifted and several of the existing balusters were replaced with a matching red sandstone sourced from Cumbria.
Repairs to the remander of the deteriorated stonework ranged from flat surface repairs to recreating ornate and decorative profiles. The stone repairs involved removing the decayed/soft stone, installing stainless steel armature, building up layers of the colour matched repair mortar which had to be finished to match the original profile.
Finally all the joints around the repaired stonework were repointed using lime mortar and the building given a gentle rinse down.