The CHQ building is a grade one listed building situated within the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC). Formerly known as Stack A, it was built in 1820 as a wine and tobacco warehouse with vaults beneath to store wine. Stack A was made famous when it hosted the Crimean War Banquet in 1856 celebrating the return of 3,000 Irish soldiers.
Oldstone Conservation was engaged directly by the Client to undertake cleaning and repair works to the brick vaulted ceilings and stone walls. Oldstone was also engaged by the Main Contractor (Monami Construction) to complete a number of new internal and external openings to closely match existing.
Works – Cleaning & Repair
The vaults within the CHQ building are vast and consist of brick arches (approx. 3,400m2) and limestone walls (approx. 3,900m2). The scope of the works consisted of cleaning all brick and stone surfaces of dust and the removal of all loose and friable mortar. This work was undertaken methodically using fine brushes with the final pass requiring a vacuum clean. Upon completion the walls were inspected to determine the extent of brick and mortar joint repairs. Bricks were repaired by either replacing them with a matching brick or repairing insitu using a colour matched repair mortar. Loose or missing areas of pointing were repointed using a lime mortar matched to the existing.
Finally, a consolidant was spray applied to the brick surfaces to bind and strengthen the existing mortar joints and brickwork and help prevent future failure of these elements and the subsequent creation of dust.
Works – New Opes
A number of alterations were required within the vaults to make it fit for its intended purpose. This required existing end walls to be taken down and reinstated in differing locations. Prior to works proceeding the existing masonry walls were meticulously numbered and recorded to ensure the same layout was used in its reconstruction. The formation of new and permanent internal and external openings required the installation of temporary props whilst stone walls were taken down and new openings formed.
Of particular note was a new opening on the west elevation that involved the formation of a new granite stone arch and cast iron door to precisely match the original and existing door arches on this elevation.